Friday, June 5, 2009

An interesting day on the acre

We had a crazy morning today. First, A found another dead chicken in the coop. Again, not really sure what happened. The only hint is that one of the boys (light brahmas) was acting really spacey yesterday. He didn't come running to me when I called like all of the others, but just stood there kind of staring off into outer space for like a minute. I'm not certain that this is the same chicken that died, but it was the same type, so maybe...

And, unfortunately, we had our first bee sting today. I have not been stung at all (I'm knocking on wood as I type this) and we had about 25 guests over the day after installing the hive and the bees didn't bother anyone. This morning, our neighbor walked over to meet the chickens and the bees and check out our garden and as soon as we stopped about 10 feet in front of the hive, a bee buzzed right over and stung him on the neck. No sooner had he been stung, another one came over and tried to attack his nose. He crushed the one on his nose, and we got the stinger out of his neck, and he was fine. I don't know why they acted this way today! Very strange... Needless to say, he will be our first recipient of whatever honey we harvest this summer!

Is there a full moon today? Almost, I just checked and it's on Sunday, so I hope things don't get weirder for the next couple of days.

In good news, we're just about to the edge of the tilled garden. Hooray! Almost done planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment